There are a lot of LDAP-enabled applications out there. Many of them can use LDAP in some way, even if that is not the primary purpose of the application. For example, many email client have the ability to use an LDAP server as an address book, and many web containers have support for authenticating against an LDAP server. But there are also numerous applications and utilities whose core purpose involves LDAP communication. Some of those are listed here.
If there are other LDAP tools that you think should be listed here, feel free to submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
LDAP Browsers and Editors
Graphical tools for interacting with the data in an LDAP directory server.
- Apache Directory Studio
- JXplorer Java LDAP Browser
- LDAP Admin Tool
- LDAP Admin Windows LDAP Manager
- LDAP Explorer Extension for Visual Studio
- LDAP Tool Box White Pages
- LEX — The LDAP Explorer
- NetTools LDAP Search
- Softerra LDAP Administrator
LDAP Command-Line Tools
Each of the following products provides a number of command-line tools for interacting with directory servers:
Ping Identity Directory Server (plus all tools in the UnboundID LDAP SDK for Java):
UnboundID LDAP SDK for Java:
In addition, the following additional command-line tools are available:
Benchmarking and Stress Testing
These tools can help you measure the performance of an LDAP directory server, or help ensure that it can stand up to the anticipated production load.
- Apache JMeter
- lb (LDAP benchmarking tool like an Apache Bench)
- ldap-load-gen (LDAP load generator built on JMeter and Fortress)
- SLAMD Distributed Load Generation Engine
- UnboundID LDAP SDK for Java (command-line tools like searchrate, modrate, authrate, etc.)
LDAP Data Synchronization
Most directory servers provide some level of support for replicating their data with other directory servers of the same type. But if you want to synchronize data between servers of different types, or if you want to synchronize data between a directory server and some other type of repository, you’ll need a more specialized tool, like the following:
These gateways provide support for interacting with the data in an LDAP directory server through an alternative (usually web-based) protocol:
- ForgeRock DSML Gateway
- ForgeRock REST to LDAP Gateway
- redap HTTP/LDAP Gateway
- UnboundID SCIM 1.1 SDK for Java
Name Services Support
In the enterprise, directory servers are often used to authenticate users to workstations and servers. The following tools can help with that:
- Authorized Entities Directory (Æ-DIR)
- LDAP Account Manager
- PADL nss_ldap module
- PADL pam_ldap module
Active Directory Tools
- Active Directory Explorer
- QuickUserInfos, EasyGroupsAdmin, and DipiComputerAccounts — French-langauge tools from Dipisoft.
- LDAP Tool Box — A collection of LDAP-related applications, administrative tools, and other utilities.
- NetTools — A collection of tools for LDAP and Active Directory