The OpenLDAP project has announced a new release maintenance policy to describe how they will support releases going forward. Highlights include:
- There will be two release streams: LTS and feature.
- LTS releases will only get bug fixes and not new features, with about four patch releases per year.
- LTS releases will be supported for around five years.
- A new LTS stream will be created about three years after the previous LTS stream, giving about two years to migrate from the previous LTS release stream to the new one before the previous one becomes unsupported.
- Feature releases will get features, bug fixes, and performance improvements.
- A new feature release stream will be created every 12–18 months.
- Periodically, feature releases will be promoted to LTS releases.